Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday - Let the Weekend Commence!

I finished Practical Demonkeeping last night and now have to decide what to read next. This was CM's first book, written back in the early '90s. I have to say I didn't like the demon, Catch, at all, nor did I care for Robert...my favorite character was Augustus Brine...who ran a shop that sold bait and fine wine.

I was introduced to the author via A Dirty Job...which was many books after Practical Demonkeeping. I think he's had all these books floating around in his head and they are slowing pouring forth onto the written page for us to enjoy!! He has really honed his humor along the way. It's sarcastic and dark - a lot...but sometimes is "LOL" funny. I read Fluke a couple of months back in which he attempts to explain why the humpback whale sings - now THAT was totally weird. TOTALLY! I loved every moment of it!

I bought 3 books last time I was at B&N but I also have a few others laying about the place waiting to be read....The newest books in the library are The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens and Why Orwell Matters, also by Chris Hitchens.

I'd like to start on a new Christopher Moore book and I think C. has Blood Sucking Fiends on his Nook and I could borrow it.

I have a pass on Book club for another week since I've already read our next discussion selection, Water for Elephants. I was going to skim through it this weekend to refresh my memory before our meeting on Tuesday next...but then I remembered I lent it to my brother in Iowa. Doh! I see there will be a movie..wonder if it will be as good as the book.

I also have to get started on The Death of Vishnu so I'm prepared for the September discussion. For now I'm going to start in on Richard Dawkins book I think...or maybe I'll download Vishnu to my Nook tonight.....

No comments: