Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thor's Day Musings

My copy of EveryDay with Rachel Ray came in the mail this week...along with the re-subscription notice. I'm debating if I should re-up or not. I do enjoy the recipes and I like her 30 Minute Meals especially. I've been pondering this for a month or two (ever since they started mailing me the notices that my subscription is about to expire). The cost is decent...so on that point its a yes...what I'm wondering is what to do with the magazine once I'm done with it...any ideas out there for magazine management?

I stopped getting all those knitting magazine subscriptions because I was finding that I wasn't really liking a lot of the patterns...well, not enough to justify getting the magazine every month without perusing it some. Now I just check them out at Barnes and Noble and if I see something worth the magazine price, I buy it. I have plenty of other sources for great knitting patterns so I don't really need the latest magazines every month.

I spent last evening as I do almost every Wednesday evening - knitting with friends at a local coffee and wine bar. The shop hosted a high school "Cabaret" night last night and there were show tunes sung by young men and women from Burnsville High school. Wished I'd known ahead of time that this was happening - I may have suggested we meet somewhere else for this one night. The problem for us - the space is not the right size or shape for this type of event. It was loud (louder than normal) and hot....and did I mention LOUD? They proprietor's did a lively business last evening so I guess they got their intended results. Revenue was definitely higher than a typical weeknight.

I'm sort of wondering if we should start looking for alternatives again for our weekly knit-outs. I like this place but it IS really loud from time to time. Perhaps there's a more centrally located spot to have our South of the River Ravelers weekly gatherings that would be quieter...but then, just about anything would've been quieter than last night. I'd like to know what the rest of the group thinks - if you're reading this and you are part of the South of the River Ravelers, please ante up your 2 cents.

If it hadn't been so toasty outside we could've gone across the street to the park but this is the week that Mother Nature has decided to send us some summer heat and humidity. I can't say I've missed the humidity at all. We have really been fortunate here in the upper-midwest this year.

On a completely different subject (health care!) I have to say that growing up Catholic, I was educated by the good Franciscan Sisters at Holy Ghost....and they taught a very valuable lesson that I took to heart. I learned that people should watch out for one another and care for one another. Who do you support? Your fellow human or big business profits? Just sayin'...

Check out what someone who knows about insurance has to say about it... Ex-Insurance Exec: Industry "Playbook" At Work Against Health Reform.

1 comment:

Rina said...

I don't like the place because it's loud. I prefer table more than couch.
And the coffee... it's oke... not something I'd crave over.
Seriously I miss the couch where the Starbucks were. Of course that place is gone.