Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You Can Get Used to Just About Anything!

It just takes about 3-6 weeks. I first noticed the tinnitus on April 2nd or thereabouts. I thought it was going to drive me crazy. I went to the doctor and had some tests done. Found that I'm one in 20 million Americans that have this lovely ringing in the ear. Its just in my left - or that's the perception anyway. Nothing to be done but keep an eye (ear?) on it and go back in a few months to make sure its not a lot worse. I can still hear so the ENT said anything they might do in there could damage the nerve and rob me of my hearing entirely...so, ok...risks outweigh the benefits...at least that's how it feels today.

Sometime in the past 2 weeks I stopped noticing it in the quiet time between awake and asleep. Although Its freakin' loud today for some reason and I've noticed that its louder on the nights after I've spent a few hours in a crowded, loud room (like the wine bar, et. al.).

What's a little ringing anyway? Its like....the cicadas or locusts singing on a warm summer evening. ;-)

1 comment:

Pam said...

I had something similar a few years ago. It is SO annoying - kind of drives you crazy. My doctor never did figure out why I had it and it did eventually go away on its' own.