Monday, October 5, 2009

Its October! First Weekend Recap

I finished listening to Club Dead Friday evening and the next book in the series, Dead to the World, wasn't available at netlibrary.com so I had to put myself on the waiting list for it. So while waiting for this one to be available I downloaded Common Sense by Thomas Paine. Different, I know... I'm almost finished reading The 19th Wife and just in time for our book club discussion on Tuesday night! Whew! I have to start reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book this month for book club too! It would be easy to keep up with all these books if I didn't have other interests and hobbies and commitments to keep me busy. There just isn't enough time in the day!

Watched Real Time w/ Bill Maher Friday night and finished several rows on one of the lace scarves I'm knitting as Christmas gifts. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH), Janeane Garafalo and Thomas Freidman made up the panel - and they were awesome! He also had on Richard Dawkins. It was a good show this week!

In the mundane category of life there is grocery shopping, which I did on Saturday. At least part of it was done at the Farmer's Market - which isn't as mundane as other forms for food buying. With the Carrots and Potatoes from the Farmer's Market and the Organic cabbage from the Co-op I made New England Boiled Dinner on Saturday. It was yummy...and the Corned Beef was consumed at once! However, I have a LOT of cabbage left, as well as potatoes and a few carrots. Its a good thing I'm on a cruciferous vegetable kick this week. I don't know why I didn't do any laundry on Saturday (even more boring than groceries) because I knew I wasn't going to get to it on Sunday! Oh, well...I guess that was pretty poor planning on my part as I don't know if I'll get to it anytime between now and Thursday. I have a feeling the washer and dryer may be tied up tonight since its DD's one night off in 2 weeks.

Yesterday morning I handed out water and cheered on runners at mile 17 of the Twin Cities Marathon. No Rain, it wasn't muggy and there was a little breeze - a perfect day for the runners! There were 35 people from my group, HealthEast Medical Lab at Mile 17 with 3 other groups. The station Captains were great! The first of the wheelchair participants flew past us around 8:45-8:50 and the first runners passed us around 9:15-9:20 with the last runner passing us around 12:15.

The street was continuously kept clean of GU packets and cups by fellow volunteers. After the last runner passed by, the trucks moved in behind them and the tables were loaded on the trucks, and all the recycling and garbage was loaded in the Waste Management trucks. The volunteers worked as a well oiled machine - a sign of good volunteers and excellent leadership! We were out of there within 10-15 minutes of the last runner passing by. I think a great time was had by all!

Interesting after-effect - my right bicep is sore from holding my arm extended for 3 hours! A very small price for helping out.

Chris and I went to see Capitalism: A Love Story yesterday afternoon and it was one of the few movies I've seen where the people in the audience clapped afterward! Confession here, this was the first Michael Moore movie I've seen. One of the members of the House of Representatives who really stood out in this film was Marcy Kaptur - she is a true representative of, and for, the people! Why do people trust corporations? Why?? Check out Common Sense sometime....government is necessary to regulate vices - and greed is definitely a vice, peeps. If you go to see Mr. Moore's latest creation - stay for the credits as its interspersed with quotes and there are many, many groups and people who are thanked at the end - not just the production crew.

No comments: